Time to shake the dust off your summer hiking boots – the dates and locations for our 2021 trail building & maintenance trips have been set and we need you!
This year we will be holding 7 trail building trips on the High Rock Trail (near Crowsnest Pass) in June and July, as we continue to make improvements following last summer’s soft opening of the HRT. We will also be holding three bridge building trips: two trips to build a new bridge over Cairnes Creek on the David Thompson Heritage Trail, and one trip on the original section of the GDT to build a new bridge over Cataract Creek. Our trips are generously supported by Alberta Environment and Parks, the Columbia Basin Trust, the Alberta Equestrian Federation, and donations from our recent charitable campaign.
Due to the ongoing COVD-19 pandemic, we have updated our GDTA COVID-19 Rapid Response Plan and Operating Procedures in accordance with government health guidelines. The health and safety of our volunteers are most important so before making your decision to volunteer, please review the document and let us know if you have any questions. After you’ve reviewed the document, if you would like to volunteer please respond to reserve your place as spots are limited.
Note that due to circumstances that are sometimes beyond our control, trip dates and locations are subject to change. We will inform you as soon as we possibly can in the event of such change.
2021 Trail Building & Maintenance Trip Schedule:
CAIRNES CREEK BRIDGE – Trip 1
- Thursday, June 17 to Sunday, June 20 – FULL (Waiting List only)
HIGH ROCK TRAIL
- Saturday, June 26 to Wednesday, June 30
- Wednesday, June 30 to Monday, July 5
- Monday, July 5 to Saturday, July 10
- Saturday, July 10 to Thursday, July 15
CATARACT CREEK BRIDGE (ORIGINAL GDT)
- Wednesday, July 14 to Sunday, July 18 – FULL (Waiting List only)
HIGH ROCK TRAIL continued
- Friday, July 16 to Wednesday, July 21
- Friday, July 23 to Tuesday, July 27
- Tuesday, July 27 to Sunday, August 1
CAIRNES CREEK BRIDGE – Trip 2
- Friday, August 13 to Tuesday, August 17 – FULL (Waiting List only)
- 10-15 people maximum per trip.
- Basic camp set-up: Kitchen shelter, fire pit & latrine. Volunteers will bring their own tents and sleeping gear.
- Volunteers will bring & cook their own food.
- Trail building experience is not required, but volunteers should have experience backcountry camping and hiking.
- Free for GDTA Members.
- The GDTA will not be organizing carpooling this year due to the pandemic so volunteers will have to arrange their own rides to the trailhead.
- The GDTA will provide all trail maintenance tools, tool training, and safety orientation for all trips.
How to Join:
Contact us if you are interested in participating in one or more of our 2021 GDTA Trail Building & Maintenance Trips. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Come join us in the mountains – Build trail – Sleep under the stars – Be inspired!