Get ready to shake the dust off your hiking boots – the dates and locations for our 2022 trail building & maintenance trips have been set and we need you!
This year we will be holding 7 trail building trips on the High Rock Trail (HRT) in June and July, as we prepare for the official opening of the HRT this summer! We are excited to announce the return of the GDTA Signature Trip as one of the HRT trips this summer. Our Signature Trip costs $150 and offers volunteers a more “luxurious” camp experience with all meals provided and prepared by our onsite chef.
We will also be holding one bridge building trip on the Original GDT, one trip to begin restoring the historic Collie Creek Trail, and returning to the Jackpine to finish what we started last year! Our trips are supported by the Columbia Basin Trust, the Alberta Equestrian Federation, and donations from our recent charitable campaign.
Due to the ongoing COVD-19 pandemic, we have updated our COVID-19 Rapid Response Plan and Operating Procedures in accordance with government health guidelines. The health and safety of our volunteers are most important so before making your decision to volunteer, please review the document and let us know if you have any questions. After you’ve reviewed the document, if you would like to volunteer please respond as soon as possible to reserve your place as spots are limited.
Note that due to circumstances that are sometimes beyond our control, trip dates and locations are subject to change. We will inform you as soon as we possibly can in the event of such change.
2022 Trail Building & Maintenance Trip Schedule:
HIGH ROCK TRAIL
1. June 20 to 24
COLLIE CREEK TRAIL
2. June 22 to 27 (chainsaw experience desirable)
HIGH ROCK TRAIL continued
3. June 25 to 30
4. July 1 to 4
5. July 6 to 11
6. July 12 to 17
7. July 18 to 22 – SIGNATURE TRIP
8. July 23 to 27
ORIGINAL GDT – OLDMAN RIVER BRIDGE BUILDING
9. July 28 to August 1 – Waiting List only
JACKPINE WALKING TRIP PART 2
10. August 14 to 20 – Waiting List only
- 10-15 people per trip, except the Signature Trip which has a maximum of 20 people.
- Kitchen & dining shelters*, fire pit and latrine (*not on the Jackpine Walking Trip)
- Volunteers will bring & cook their own food, except for the Signature Trip where all food is provided and cooked by our onsite chef.
- Trail building experience is not required, but volunteers should have experience backcountry camping and hiking.
- Signature Trip $150, all other trips are FREE for GDTA Members.
- The GDTA will not be organizing carpooling this year due to the pandemic so volunteers will have to arrange their own rides to the trailhead.
- The GDTA will provide all trail maintenance tools, tool training, and safety orientation for all trips.
How to Join:
Contact us if you are interested in participating in one or more of our 2022 Trail Building & Maintenance Trips and remember that you must be a GDTA Member to participate. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Come join us in the mountains – Build trail – Sleep under the stars – Be inspired!