Backpackers, hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, would you like to share your passion with others?
Do you want to participate in responsibly creating an iconic Canadian wilderness opportunity?
Do you have 6-10 hours to volunteer each month?
The Great Divide Trail traverses the continental divide between Alberta and British Columbia, wandering through the vast wilderness of the Canadian Rocky Mountains for more than 1100 kilometres. It is one of the most spectacular and challenging long‐distance trails on the planet. The Great Divide Trail Association is dedicated to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the Great Divide Trail. We are currently seeking dynamic, committed, bright, community-oriented Board of Directors candidates.
We are looking for candidates with experience in any of the following areas:
Finance, fundraising, operations management, business skills, non-profit/charity governance, organizational development, legal, safety and environment, marketing, communications, member/stakeholder engagement, human resource management.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Board
The GDTA is a registered charity, and the Board is accountable for ensuring that the Association is managed in accordance with applicable laws and its membership’s wishes. These responsibilities include:
- Establishing and maintaining a framework of delegation and internal control.
- Monitoring financial management and performance.
- Establishing and pursuing a strategic direction in keeping with the GDTA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Reviewing and overseeing the Association’s risk management and compliance systems and programs.
- Evaluating and improving the performance of the Board.
- Promoting and supporting the Association and its members.
Responsibilities of Individual Board Members
As individuals and collectively, Board Members are responsible for:
- Creating a positive, open organizational culture.
- Adhering to the bylaws, policies, and procedures of the organization.
- Pursuing opportunities to improve the performance of the Association at all levels.
- Attending all Board meetings.
- Actively participating on at least one of the Association’s committees or as an Association officer.
- Acting selflessly in making decisions and working towards positions that are in the best interests of the Association.
Term: Three (3) Years
Compensation: None – this is a volunteer position
Time Commitment: Six to ten hours per month
Candidate Selection Process
Interested Candidates should submit their names and qualifications on or before September 10, 2021, to:
Great Divide Trail Association
Attention: Nomination Committee
Via Email: email@example.com
Or in writing to:
229 – 18A Street NW, Calgary AB, T2N 2H1
The nominating committee will review all applications, possibly interview interested persons and then present qualified candidates to the Association’s membership for their consideration at the September 2021 Annual Meeting. There are currently up to four (4) open Board positions.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
If you are not interested in a Board position but would like to contribute your time and talents in other ways, don’t hesitate to contact the nominating committee.