August 27, 2023
Wildfire smoke is impacting air quality on much of the GDT. Recent cool weather resulted in snowfall at high elevations but a return to warmer weather this week will likely melt it all.
TRAIL CLOSURES AND NOTICES:
- WILDFIRES and FIRE BANS: While there are no closures due to wildfire, smoke from nearby wildfires is impacting the GDT. Check out the current smoke forecast for more information. Fire hazard ratings are currently moderate to high in the Rockies and fire bans or restrictions are in effect. If you must have a campfire in the backcountry, ensure you follow the rules.
- BEARS: It’s berry season and bears are out and about feeding. Be bear aware on the trails this summer: be alert, make noise and carry bear spray.
- CLOSURE – Mount Robson Provincial Park: The Berg Lake Trail will remain closed for repairs during the 2023 season, except for the first 7 kilometres from the parking lot to Kinney Lake. Mount Robson Visitor Centre has temporarily suspended its resupply package service. The Moose River Trail is open, giving GDT Hikers 4 options to use as the GDT northern terminus other than the Berg Lake Trail:
2. Moose River
- CLOSURE – Egypt Lake and Bryant Creek shelters are closed until further notice due to construction.
- A Kananaskis Conservation Pass will be required for all vehicles visiting Kananaskis Country and provincial sites in the Bow Valley Corridor. The pass is not required for people arriving without a vehicle on foot, horseback or bicycle.
- Highway 1 road construction 4 km east of Golden – No daytime stoppages or weekend closures from June 1 to September 15. Sunday-Thursday prepare for 30-minute evening delays and nighttime closures (10pm-7am). If necessary, detour via Highway 93S and Highway 95
- BC Parks lists Walker Creek FSR as closed at km 37 due to unsafe road conditions, but the road remains accessible beyond that point for those with high clearance 4WD vehicles willing to drive the very rough and overgrown road all the way to from the Bastille Creek trailhead.
- For more information, check out Alberta 511 and Drive BC.
National and Provincial Park Trail Conditions:
Akamina‐Kishinena Provincial Park
Castle Wildland Provincial Park
Castle Provincial Park
Elk Lakes Provincial Park
Height of the Rockies Provincial Park
Kakwa Provincial Park
Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park
Mount Robson Provincial Park
Peter Lougheed Provincial Park