July 28, 2023
Wildflowers are blooming! Expect warmer temperatures this weekend and next week, along with possible afternoon thunderstorms. Most trails are clear and bare, but expect muddy conditions after periods of rain.
TRAIL CLOSURES AND NOTICES:
- WILDFIRES and FIRE BANS: While there are no closures due to wildfire, smoke from nearby wildfires is impacting the GDT. Check out the current smoke forecast for more information. Fire hazard ratings are currently high or extreme in much of the Rockies and fire bans or restrictions are in effect throughout BC and most of Alberta. If you must have a campfire in the backcountry, ensure you follow the rules.
- BEARS: Due to an early spring and warm weather, berry season has arrived early and bears are out and about feeding. Be bear aware on the trails this summer: be alert, make noise and carry bear spray.
- CREEKS: Rapid snow melt during this time of year results in high water levels and potentially dangerous creek crossings, particularly later in the day. Attempt to ford larger creeks early in the day when water levels are lowest.
- CLOSURE – Mount Robson Provincial Park: The Berg Lake Trail will remain closed for repairs during the 2023 season, except for the first 7 kilometres from the parking lot to Kinney Lake. Mount Robson Visitor Centre has temporarily suspended its resupply package service. The Moose River Trail is open, giving GDT Hikers 4 options to use as the GDT northern terminus other than the Berg Lake Trail:
2. Moose River
- CLOSURE – Aster Lake campground on the Northover Ridge Alternate in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park is closed due to construction. Random camping is permitted at Northover tarns in Height of the Rockies Provincial Park – please Leave No Trace!
- CLOSURE – Egypt Lake and Bryant Creek shelters are closed until further notice due to construction.
- A Kananaskis Conservation Pass will be required for all vehicles visiting Kananaskis Country and provincial sites in the Bow Valley Corridor. The pass is not required for people arriving without a vehicle on foot, horseback or bicycle.
- Highway 1 road construction 4 km east of Golden – No daytime stoppages or weekend closures from June 1 to September 15. Sunday-Thursday prepare for 30-minute evening delays and nighttime closures (10pm-7am). If necessary, detour via Highway 93S and Highway 95
- BC Parks lists Walker Creek FSR as closed at km 37 due to unsafe road conditions, but the road remains accessible beyond that point for those with high clearance 4WD vehicles willing to drive the very rough and overgrown road all the way to from the Bastille Creek trailhead.
- For more information, check out Alberta 511 and Drive BC.
National and Provincial Park Trail Conditions:
Akamina‐Kishinena Provincial Park
Castle Wildland Provincial Park
Castle Provincial Park
Elk Lakes Provincial Park
Height of the Rockies Provincial Park
Kakwa Provincial Park
Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park
Mount Robson Provincial Park
Peter Lougheed Provincial Park