Great Divide Trail Association, Calgary, Alberta
Backpackers, hikers, outdoor enthusiasts, would you like to share your passion with others?
Do you want to participate in responsibly creating an iconic Canadian wilderness opportunity?
Do you have 6-10 hours to volunteer each month?
The Great Divide Trail traverses the continental divide between Alberta and British Columbia, wandering through the vast wilderness of the Canadian Rocky Mountains for more than 1100 kilometres. It is one of the most spectacular and challenging long‐distance trails on the planet. The Great Divide Trail Association is dedicated to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the Great Divide Trail. We are currently seeking dynamic, committed, community-oriented Board of Directors candidates.
We are looking for candidates with experience in the following areas:
Finance (succession planning for GDTA Treasurer), fundraising, non-profit/charity governance, organizational development, safety and environment, marketing, communications, member/stakeholder engagement, leadership and public relations skills.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Board
The GDTA is a registered charity, and the Board is accountable for ensuring that the Association is managed in accordance with applicable laws and its membership’s wishes. The Board is responsible to:
- Establish and maintain a framework for delegation and internal control within GDTA.
- Monitor GDTA finances and performance.
- Establish strategic direction aligned with the GDTA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Review and oversee the Association’s risk management
- Evaluate and improve the performance of the Board.
- Promote and support the Association and its members.
Responsibilities of Individual Board Members
As individuals and collectively, Board Members are responsible to:
- Create a positive, open organizational culture.
- Adhere to GDTA bylaws, policies, and procedures
- Attend all Board meetings in person or virtually (3rd Tuesday of each month, 7-9 pm MT).
- Make decisions and work towards positions that are in the best interests of the Association.
Term: Three (3) Years, 6-10 hours per month
Compensation: None – this is a volunteer position.
Candidate Selection Process
Interested Candidates should submit their names, why they want to be a part of the GDTA board and qualifications on or before September 8, 2022, to:
Great Divide Trail Association
Attention: Nomination Committee
Via Email: email@example.com
Or in writing to:
Great Divide Trail Association – Attn: Nomination Committee
Suite 200, 940 – 6 Avenue SW
The nominating committee will review all applications, possibly interview interested persons and then present qualified candidates to the Association’s membership for their consideration at the GDTA Annual General Meeting on Monday, September 26, 2022. There are currently four (4) open Board positions.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
If you are not interested in a Board position but would like to contribute your time and talents in other ways, don’t hesitate to contact the nominating committee.