The Great Divide Trail Guide is available as an in-app purchase in the “FarOut” app (formerly Guthook), a free download from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store. The iOS and Android apps do differ slightly in their appearance; however, the majority of their features remain the same and access the same trail data.
- Each section of the GDT (A – G) is available for individual purchase: CAD$5.49 / USD$3.99 per section
- Or take advantage of the “thru-hiker discount” and purchase the entire trail for a 35% savings: CAD$24.99 / USD$17.99
- The App works completely offline, even in airplane mode. No mobile service or internet is required after initial setup. The app uses your device’s built-in GPS and downloaded maps.
- Note that a portion of every sale of the App will go to the Great Divide Trail Association to maintain and improve the trail.
- The “FarOut” App is available on iPhone and iPad via the iTunes App Store and Android mobile devices from the Google Play Store.
- GPS-enabled map of the Great Divide Trail
- Frequently updated with new information regarding trail conditions and closures/detours
- 80+ alternate routes and side trails
- Route-builder tool to create your own routes
- Offline topographic maps (Natural Resources Canada Toporama maps)
- Nearly 400 waypoints along or near the trail
- GPS-enabled elevation profile
- GPS-enabled data book listing
- Trailhead information
- Comments section for each waypoint
- Text or email your location (requires internet/data service)
Types of Waypoints:
- Campground and tenting sites
- Trailheads and parking areas
- Trail junctions and trail exit points in case of emergency
- Resupply locations and information
- Other landmarks and points of interest
Disclaimer: We recommend that you always bring a paper map and compass even if you have the GDT App because a paper map’s “battery life” is significantly longer than that of a smartphone.