The Great Divide Trail traverses the continental divide between Alberta and British Columbia, wandering through the vast wilderness of the Canadian Rocky Mountains for more than 1100 kilometres. It is one of the most spectacular and challenging long‐distance trails on the planet. The Great Divide Trail Association is dedicated to maintaining, protecting, and promoting the Great Divide Trail. We are currently seeking dynamic, committed, bright, community-oriented Board of Directors candidates.
We are looking for candidates with experience in the following areas:
Finance, fundraising, operations management, business skills, non-profit/charity governance, organizational development, legal, safety and environment, marketing, communications, member/stakeholder engagement, human resource management.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Board
The GDTA is a registered charity, and the Board is accountable for ensuring that the Association is managed in accordance with applicable laws and its membership’s wishes. These responsibilities include:
- Establishing and maintaining a framework of delegation and internal control.
- Monitoring financial management and performance.
- Establishing and pursuing a strategic direction in keeping with the GDTA’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Reviewing and overseeing the Association’s risk management and compliance systems and programs.
- Evaluating and improving the performance of the Board.
- Promoting and supporting the Association and its members.
As individuals and collectively, Board Members are responsible for:
- Creating a positive, open organizational culture.
- Adhering to the bylaws, policies, and procedures of the organization.
- Pursuing opportunities to improve the performance of the Association at all levels
- Attending all Board meetings in person or via teleconferencing.
- Actively participating on at least one of the Association’s committees or as an Association officer.
- Acting selflessly in making decisions and working towards positions that are in the best interests of the Association.
Compensation: None – this is a volunteer position.
Time Commitment: Six to ten hours per month
Candidate Selection Process
Attention: Nomination Committee
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
229 – 18A Street NW Calgary, Alberta T2N 2H1
The nominating committee will review all applications, possibly interview interested persons and then present qualified candidates to the Association’s membership for their consideration at the September 2020 Annual General Meeting. There are currently four (4) open Board positions.