Even though the GDT is remote and crosses few highways, public transportation and trailheads do exist to allow you to access the trail at various points whether you’re thru-hiking or section hiking. Note that Greyhound no longer offers bus service in Alberta so public transportation options to GDT trailheads are limited.
Southern Terminus – Waterton Townsite:
From Calgary: Airport Shuttle Express offers a shuttle between the Calgary Airport and the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton Lakes National Park (Call or email for rates). This shuttle continues on to Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier, Montana for an additional fee. Mountain Man Mike’s offers bus service between Calgary and Pincher Creek.
From Pincher Creek: Pincher Creek taxi service can take you to Waterton townsite for $80-90 (obviously more economical with 2 or more passengers).
From Glacier National Park (USA): Tamarack Outdoor Outfitters offers shuttle service during the summer to and from the Chief Mountain border crossing, connecting Waterton Lakes National Park in Alberta with Glacier National Park in Montana.
From Waterton Townsite, there are two ways that hikers can reach the actual southern terminus on the International Boundary:
- Hike 6.3 km from the Lakeshore trailhead (a2) to the International Boundary (a1) and simply turn around at the border and walk back to Waterton Townsite (12.6 km return hike).
- Take a boat from the Waterton marina to Goat Haunt Ranger Station in Glacier National Park (USA) and hike 12.8 km back to Waterton Townsite via the Lakeshore Trail. Passport required. For sailing times, ticket prices and customs information, check out Waterton Shoreline Cruises Co.
Mount Robson (the Original Northern Terminus): There is no public transportation to Mount Robson so you must make your own travel arrangements. Mount Robson Visitor Centre is easily accessible on Highway 16.
Kakwa Trailhead (the Extended Northern Terminus): There is no public transportation to the very remote Kakwa trailhead so you must make your own travel arrangements or be prepared to walk out via the Walker Creek Forest Service Road to Highway 16, 75 km away. Walker Creek FSR is a rough and muddy dirt road and a 4WD high clearance vehicle is required.
Other Transportation options along the GDT:
- Brewster offers bus service between the Calgary airport, Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise, Saskatchewan Crossing and Jasper.
- SunDog Connector offers bus service between Jasper and Edmonton.
- Red Arrow offers bus service between Edmonton, Calgary and Lethbridge.
- On-It Regional Transit offers bus service between Calgary, Canmore and Banff.
- Rider Express offers bus service between Calgary, Canmore, Lake Louise, Banff and Golden.
- Roam Transit offers bus service between Canmore, Lake Louise and Banff.
- Car rentals and taxi service are available in Calgary, Pincher Creek, Canmore, Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper.
Other Access to the GDT:
Turn on the “Access Routes & Trailheads” layer on our map to see exact locations of the following access points along the GDT.
|Access Roads and Trails||Nearest Waypoint||Distance to the GDT|
|Blakiston Valley Trail||a15||10 km|
|Snowshoe Trail||a16||11.1 km|
|Dutch Creek Road (4WD)||b14||25 km|
|Cache Creek Trail||b21||2.1 km|
|Soda Creek Trail||b22||3.9 km|
|Baril Creek Trail||b30||9 km|
|Burstall Pass Trail||c6||11.3 km|
|Mount Shark Trail||c7||5.8 km|
|Allenby Pass Trail||c9||37 km|
|Fatigue Pass Trail||c13||21 km|
|Sunshine Village Trail||c15 or c16||1 km|
|Healy Creek Trail||c17||6.5 km|
|Pharaoh Creek Trail||c19||19 km|
|Redearth Creek Trail||c21||17.2 km|
|Tumbling Creek Trail||c31||10.5 km|
|Wolverine Pass Trail||c32||7.2 km|
|Helmet Creek Trail||c35||13.6 km|
|Sunset Pass Trail||e6||12.6 km|
|Nigel Pass Trail||e13||7.4 km|
|Poboktan Creek Trail||e20||6 km|
|Moose River Trail||f11||22.3 km|
|Mount Robson Berg Lake Trail||f16||29.6 km|
|Holmes River Road + Blueberry Trail||g6||43.4 km (road) + 7.2 km (trail)|
|Grande Cache Horse Trail||g21||72 km|
|Walker Creek Road (4WD)||g29||74.6 km|
|Trailheads directly on the GDT||Corresponding Waypoint|
|Lakeshore Trail||a2 at Waterton Townsite|
|Carthew-Alderson Trail||a3 at Waterton Townsite|
|Carthew-Alderson Trail||a8 on Akamina Parkway|
|Rowe Lakes Trail||a9 on Akamina Parkway|
|West Castle Road||a30 near Castle Mountain Ski Resort|
|Suicide Creek Trail||a31 on West Castle Road|
|Lynx Creek Road||a36 and a44|
|Coleman||b1 on Highway 3|
|Deadman Pass Trail||b4 on Allison Creek (Atlas) Road|
|Aldridge Creek Trail||b32 on Kananaskis Powerline Road|
|Elk Lakes Trail||near b38 on Elk Valley Road|
|Elk Pass Trail||b40 on Kananaskis Lakes Trail|
|North Interlakes Trail||c1 on Kananaskis Lakes Trail|
|Hawk Creek & Floe Lake Trails||c23 on Highway 93|
|Ottertail Trail||c38 on Highway 1|
|Tally-Ho Trail||c39 near Field|
|Natural Bridge & Amiskwi Trail||d0 on Emerald Lake Road|
|David Thompson Heritage Trail||d9 on Blaeberry Forest Service Road|
|Howse Pass Trail||d16 on Highway 93|
|Owen Creek Trail||e1 on Highway 11|
|Skyline Trail||e25 on Maligne Lake Road|
|Signal Mountain Trail||e32 on Maligne Lake Road|
|Old Fort Point||e34 near Jasper|
|Miette River Trail||f1 on Highway 16|
|Kakwa Lake Trail||g29 on Walker Creek Road|